The Focus group panel, a permanent panel at any Piper Jaffray conference was especially interesting since this time the discussion was with young Chinese users as opposed to US teens.
- Favorite activities seems to be to download movies and mp3's
- Baidu is the favorite search engine mainly because of mp3's
- Google is considered "better" in terms of quality
- Prefer to download movies that are either Asian or European (French!) not Hollywood movies..
- Cannot consider to pay for any content. Especially not for music or movies
- But, are very willing to pay for ringtones, virtual items, avatars etc - One girl even paid to get a doctor to heal her sick QQ pet...
- All users bought online
- All used Alipay to pay for goods online - some cash on delivery
What I found most interesting was they all freely and openly spoke about that as soon as they wanted content forbidden by the government - they went Online to get it. Nobody seemed to be the least concerned with saying that openly. This is what I have been saying over and over: young people in China are not concerned or worried about saying what they want - no one is being arrested for a statement like the above... Censorship is something being practised by all governments, organizations, corporations and even Editors of the "free press" all over the world. It just comes in different colors and shapes..